It might not be in the highlights, but Jason Bartlett and Akinori Iwamura made a sick play to get a tough force out at second to end the top of the 5th and keep our beloved Devil Rays within one run in Game 2 of the ALDS.
Then in the bottom half of the inning, Bartlett got on ahead of Aki with a single, setting the stage for Iwamura to take Buehrle deep right over the Bud Light Drinkability sign in left.
(It is Bud Light’s remarkable, patented and unique Drinkability that makes it delicious, even out of The Fat Catcher’s Cup.)
That and dominant relief appearances for the second straight day from Grant Balfour and J.P. Howell were just about all our Devil Rays needed to take a commanding 2-0 advantage in this Best-of-5 series.
Fun Yankees Historical Comparison:
- Last time the Yankees won two games in a single postseason: 2005 (three years ago)
- Last time the Yankees had a 2-0 lead in a postseason series: 2004 (four years ago)
Oh, right, the mohawk. On TBS, I thought I heard them say that Aki was the first Devil Ray to have a mohawk, and that he had had one pretty much all season long. I haven’t found anything to back that claim up, but the mohawk chronology then goes something like: B.J. Upton got his going in September, then after about a week Evan Longoria got his, and then damn near everybody has followed suit.
It looked like Balfour and Chad Bradford had quasi-mohawks going too, or just theirs have mostly grown back.
- Ladies Of Devil Ray Town, Start Your Razors!
- Shitske has a mohawk
- Hank Has Plan: The Yanks Will Still Make Playoffs
- VIDEO: David Chalk has a mohawk
- Andy Sonnanstine, Jonny Gomes, Ben Zobrist, Rocco Baldelli and Justin Ruggiano have mohawks
- Scott Kazmir has a mohawk
- Fernando Perez has a mohawk
- Joe Maddon has a mohawk
- Evan Longoria has a mohawk
- B.J. Upton has a mohawk