Christmas music makes me want to punch someone in the c***. But I do kind of miss advent calendars. Therefore, as my gift to our readers and to all the children of the world, I proudly offer the All-Time Greatest Devil Rays Virtual Advent Calendar….
Every day up till Christmas we will reveal another of the Top 25 Greatest Devil Rays Of All-Time*, and on Christmas Morning, we will unveil the Greatest Devil Ray Of All — The Devil Ray Christ Child….
The 25th Greatest Devil Ray Ever is….
Rolando Arrojo (1998-1999)
- The First Ever Devil Ray All-Star (1998)
- Earned a hold in the 1998 All-Star Game by pitching a scoreless 6th inning; struck out Craig Biggio
- Franchise record 14 victories in 1998 was unmatched for a decade before being tied in 2008 by IMOA Edwin Jackson and TMOTMCC James Shields
- Finished 2nd in the 1998 AL Rookie Of The Year vote, receiving 4 first-place votes
- In back-to-back starts, earned victories in complete game 3-hitters on April 30 and May 6, 1998
- Pitched two shutouts in 1998, tied for the franchise record for shutouts in a season and in a D-Ray career
- 3.56 ERA in 1998 is tied for 3rd best by a Devil Ray starter
- 152 strikeouts in 1998 ranks 7th on Devil Rays single-season list
- 9th on Devil Rays career victory list with 21
- Tied for 4th with 4 career complete games
There have only been 24 Devil Rays greater than Rolando Arrojo. There are only 24 more days until Christmas. Tune in tomorrow as we reveal the 24th Greatest Devil Ray Ever.
*We previously named an All-Time Greatest Devil Rays team position-by-position based on single-season performance, but this is based on players’ entire Devil Ray careers and regardless of position. Special thanks to Robotto Clemente for crunching the numbers to come up with this list.