Christmas music makes me want to punch someone in the c***. But I do kind of miss advent calendars. Therefore, as my gift to our readers and to all the children of the world, I proudly offer the All-Time Greatest Devil Rays Virtual Advent Calendar….
Every day up till Christmas we will reveal another of the Top 25 Greatest Devil Rays Of All-Time*, and on Christmas Morning, we will unveil the Greatest Devil Ray Of All — The Devil Ray Christ Child….
The 22nd Greatest Devil Ray Ever is….
Jonny Gomes (2003-present)
- PTownFan’s Guest Post The Regal Madness Of Jonny Gomes is the best place to start reviewing Jonny’s countless contributions to the franchise we all love
- First Devil Ray to hit three home runs in a single game (July 30, 2005)
- Tied a major league record on August 15 2005 when he was hit by three pitches in a game against the Yankees (he also homered in that game)
- Holds Devil Rays HBP records for a season (19, 2005) and career (35)
- Finished 3rd in the 2005 AL Rookie of the Year voting, receiving 2 first place votes
- On September 6, 2005 at That Old Dump In The Bronx, he threw out Jason Giambi at 2nd base and Bernie Williams at home in the 6th inning, tying a Devil Rays record
- Ranks 6th on the Devil Rays career HR list (66)
- Ranks 9th on the Devil Rays career lists for games played (415), runs (186), and stolen bases (30)
- In 2006, became the 13th player all-time, 6th American Leaguer, to hit 11 or more HR in April
- In 2005, led AL rookies in HR (21, tied with Oakland’s Nick Swisher), SLG (.534), OBP (.372), triples (6) and HBP (14) and was 2nd in batting (.282); also set a Devil Ray record for most home runs by a rookie
- On July 9, 2005, hit a walk-off HR off Troy Percival, which was the 2nd longest homer in Tropicana Field history (474 ft)
- On September 12, 2003, became the 3rd Devil Ray to collect 2 hits in his MLB debut, both coming off David Wells at That Old Dump In The Bronx
There have only been 21 Devil Rays greater than Jonny Gomes. There are only 21 more days until Christmas. Tune in tomorrow as we reveal the 21st Greatest Devil Ray Ever.
Previously on All-Time Greatest Devil Rays Advent Calendar….
*We previously named an All-Time Greatest Devil Rays team position-by-position based on single-season performance, but this is based on players’ entire Devil Ray careers and regardless of position. Special thanks to Robotto Clemente for crunching the numbers to come up with this list.
Leave a Reply
- Negatory on That: Duquette stays put by Patrick Smith
- We lost another one by Landon Evanson
- Time Off: See You in 1 Minute, 45 Seconds by Wayne Laufert
- Royals Redemption: A B&C Interview with Willie Mays Aikens by Landon Evanson
- Elderly Owner + MASN Dispute – Impending Free Agents = The Max Scherzer Contract by Duke Jackson