Christmas music makes me want to punch someone in the c***. But I do kind of miss advent calendars. Therefore, as my gift to our readers and to all the children of the world, I proudly offer the All-Time Greatest Devil Rays Virtual Advent Calendar….
Every day up till Christmas we will reveal another of the Top 25 Greatest Devil Rays Of All-Time*, and on Christmas Morning, we will unveil the Greatest Devil Ray Of All — The Devil Ray Christ Child….
The 18th Greatest Devil Ray Ever is….
Matt Garza (2008-present)
- Named MVP of the 2008 ALCS
- In two ALCS starts, earned two wins, pitched 13 innings, struck out 14, and had a 1.38 ERA
- In Game 7 of the ALCS, pitched 7 innings, struck out 9 and allowed only 2 hits and 1 run
- On June 26, 2008 won a complete-game one hitter (one of only three in Devil Rays history), and struck out 10
- On August 15, 2008 threw a 2-hit shutout, striking out 9
- 2 shutouts in 2008 tied the Devil Rays single-season and career records; was also tied for the AL lead
- 3 complete games in 2008 is tied for 3rd on Devil Rays single-season list, and is tied for 7th on D-Rays career list; also tied for 3rd in the AL
- 3.70 ERA in 2008 ranks 4th on Devil Rays single-season list
- 11 wins in 2008 is tied for 9th on Devil Rays single-season list
There have only been 17 Devil Rays greater than Matt Garza. There are only 17 more days until Christmas. Tune in tomorrow as we reveal the 17th Greatest Devil Ray Ever.
Previously on All-Time Greatest Devil Rays Advent Calendar….
*We previously named an All-Time Greatest Devil Rays team position-by-position based on single-season performance, but this is based on players’ entire Devil Ray careers and regardless of position. Special thanks to Robotto Clemente for crunching the numbers to come up with this list.
Leave a Reply
- Royal All-Stars: No Apologies by Jeremy Scheuch
- Indoor Four ’15: July edition by Landon Evanson
- 25,000 Little Magical Bucks Can’t Be Wrong by Patrick Smith
- Peace Out, Pete by Duke Jackson
- Hangin’ with Hargrove: A B&C interview with Mike Hargrove by Landon Evanson