Flipping around this weekend after I got back from the Boston shenanigans, I landed on an ESPN Classic broadcast of Rickey Henderson running wild on the Yankees in 1991.Ã‚Â Calling the game for MSG Network was a young DeWayne Staats.Ã‚Â While Staats is still a very handsome man as he broadcasts Devil Ray games on FSN Florida and Sun Sports, as you can see below he was truly a vision back in the day.
Now that Staats is so closely associated with a championship team/baseball’s greatest franchise, it’s sad to think back on him toiling for five years calling games for some truly terrible Yankee teams from 1990-1994.Ã‚Â On the other hand, for everyone punching a clock at a shit job in a dirty, smelly workplace, Staats should be an inspiration, showing to what heights one can rise even after such lowly beginnings.
Leave a Reply
- Butler Frees Up A’s To Trade For Needed Outfield He(alth)lp by Bob Moffitt
- Stanton, Not Nats by Patrick Smith
- MLB Classics: Hard Hittin’ Mark Whiten by Landon Evanson
- Not A Great Five Minutes for the Pirates by Andy Smith
- A Bird Around the Neck Is Worth … What?!?! by Steve St. Angelo