Flipping around this weekend after I got back from the Boston shenanigans, I landed on an ESPN Classic broadcast of Rickey Henderson running wild on the Yankees in 1991.Ã‚Â Calling the game for MSG Network was a young DeWayne Staats.Ã‚Â While Staats is still a very handsome man as he broadcasts Devil Ray games on FSN Florida and Sun Sports, as you can see below he was truly a vision back in the day.
Now that Staats is so closely associated with a championship team/baseball’s greatest franchise, it’s sad to think back on him toiling for five years calling games for some truly terrible Yankee teams from 1990-1994.Ã‚Â On the other hand, for everyone punching a clock at a shit job in a dirty, smelly workplace, Staats should be an inspiration, showing to what heights one can rise even after such lowly beginnings.
Leave a Reply
- B&C Review — Billy Martin: Baseball’s Flawed Genius by Landon Evanson
- Eff You Winter, Its Time for Baseball: Your 2015 NL Preview by Duke Jackson
- ‘Stachtastic: A B&C interview with Carl Pavano by Landon Evanson
- Mo’ne, Joey, Professional Sports and Name-calling by Elisabeth Galina
- Guys, I’m Worried About Brett Gardner by Seth Tearz