Sports Illustrated isn’t announcing their Sportsman Of The Year until December 1st, but I’ll save you the wondering.
Last year I spilled a lot of digital ink telling you who should have won (Joe Maddon, not that¬†drug addict swimmer).¬† This year I could do the same (Ben Zobrist), but could it be any more obvious who’ll they’ll give it to?
Fifth “world title.” Broke (a minor) Lou Gehrig record. Won the Gold Glove and the Silver Slugger (just like Ryan Zimmerman!).¬†Even won¬†the Roberto Clemente Award (for a mix of community/on-field excellence, not for likelihood to die in a plane crash).
Who else could beat him? Kobe won his fourth this year, and Phil Jackson his tenth — both are clearly more deserving, but just as clearly less marketable.¬† I can’t think of anyone else who could come close to Jeter’s mix of coverboyness¬†and 2009/lifetime “achievement.”
Feel like watching videos? Over on NESW Sports I got¬†Eight Random Videos #2: Shaq, Iverson, Palin, Nuts up.
Leave a Reply
- Indoor Four ’15: July edition by Landon Evanson
- 25,000 Little Magical Bucks Can’t Be Wrong by Patrick Smith
- Peace Out, Pete by Duke Jackson
- Hangin’ with Hargrove: A B&C interview with Mike Hargrove by Landon Evanson
- I Get it Now by Landon Evanson