Sports Illustrated isn’t announcing their Sportsman Of The Year until December 1st, but I’ll save you the wondering.
Last year I spilled a lot of digital ink telling you who should have won (Joe Maddon, not that¬†drug addict swimmer).¬† This year I could do the same (Ben Zobrist), but could it be any more obvious who’ll they’ll give it to?
Fifth “world title.” Broke (a minor) Lou Gehrig record. Won the Gold Glove and the Silver Slugger (just like Ryan Zimmerman!).¬†Even won¬†the Roberto Clemente Award (for a mix of community/on-field excellence, not for likelihood to die in a plane crash).
Who else could beat him? Kobe won his fourth this year, and Phil Jackson his tenth — both are clearly more deserving, but just as clearly less marketable.¬† I can’t think of anyone else who could come close to Jeter’s mix of coverboyness¬†and 2009/lifetime “achievement.”
Feel like watching videos? Over on NESW Sports I got¬†Eight Random Videos #2: Shaq, Iverson, Palin, Nuts up.
Leave a Reply
- Words of inspiration for Jeremy Guthrie by Landon Evanson
- Minnesota’s new manager is now available by Landon Evanson
- I’ll take heart all day long by Landon Evanson
- Big Lame James And The Ryder Cup Rotation That Yost The Series by Bob Moffitt
- It was just one game by Landon Evanson