As much as I’ve come to admire Professor Cork Gaines of Rays Index since I first took him to task last August for making his All-Time Worst Devil Rays Team, every once in awhile I am simply stunned, flabbergasted and astonished by his pessimism and negativity.
I bring this up because I can’t understand why Professor Gaines would write the following on Monday:
[Odds] The Devil Rays will win the AL Eastern division:
Despite having the best record in the AL and leading the AL East for the better part of the last month, the Red Sox are still the team to beat and still have the most talent. The Devil Rays should eye the wild card unless of course Josh Beckett decides to go on a Mormon Mission sometime soon…3.14159%
To put that in perspective, last week FanIQ reported that Bodog’s sports futures line gave our Devil Rays better than 3 to 1 odds to win the AL East. And yet, Professor Pessimism counters with worse than 30 to 1 odds.
As the kids say, WTF?
Furthermore, also last week, Vegas Watch had our Devil Rays at 10 to 1 odds — to win the 2008 World Series.
Perhaps Professor Pessimism sees our Devil Rays riding a Wild Card to the World Series, but I still just can’t understand it.
We should be the favorites to win the division. And we will.
Leave a Reply
- Negatory on That: Duquette stays put by Patrick Smith
- We lost another one by Landon Evanson
- Time Off: See You in 1 Minute, 45 Seconds by Wayne Laufert
- Royals Redemption: A B&C Interview with Willie Mays Aikens by Landon Evanson
- Elderly Owner + MASN Dispute – Impending Free Agents = The Max Scherzer Contract by Duke Jackson