As much as I’ve come to admire Professor Cork Gaines of Rays Index since I first took him to task last August for making his All-Time Worst Devil Rays Team, every once in awhile I am simply stunned, flabbergasted and astonished by his pessimism and negativity.
I bring this up because I can’t understand why Professor Gaines would write the following on Monday:
[Odds] The Devil Rays will win the AL Eastern division:
Despite having the best record in the AL and leading the AL East for the better part of the last month, the Red Sox are still the team to beat and still have the most talent. The Devil Rays should eye the wild card unless of course Josh Beckett decides to go on a Mormon Mission sometime soon…3.14159%
To put that in perspective, last week FanIQ reported that Bodog’s sports futures line gave our Devil Rays better than 3 to 1 odds to win the AL East. And yet, Professor Pessimism counters with worse than 30 to 1 odds.
As the kids say, WTF?
Furthermore, also last week, Vegas Watch had our Devil Rays at 10 to 1 odds — to win the 2008 World Series.
Perhaps Professor Pessimism sees our Devil Rays riding a Wild Card to the World Series, but I still just can’t understand it.
We should be the favorites to win the division. And we will.
Leave a Reply
- B&C Review — Billy Martin: Baseball’s Flawed Genius by Landon Evanson
- Eff You Winter, Its Time for Baseball: Your 2015 NL Preview by Duke Jackson
- ‘Stachtastic: A B&C interview with Carl Pavano by Landon Evanson
- Mo’ne, Joey, Professional Sports and Name-calling by Elisabeth Galina
- Guys, I’m Worried About Brett Gardner by Seth Tearz