It is beyond dispute, John AxfordÂ got pushed around in a final frame that ended up providing more drama than expected or necessary on a Sunday afternoon, but it was just one game. And though Ax has not been as consistent as a year ago (to this point), he’s still a huge part of Milwaukee’s club, and a cog which will have a lot to do with any success the Brewers have from this point forward.
So, it has to be said: How convenient it will be for fans to laud Axford once he rights the ship and the Brewers start winning consistently. I would call them hypocrites, but such a word may go over their heads.
It is a bit nauseating, isn’t it baseball fans, that players are a smidget hesitant with fans from time-to-time because of the type of fools I’m referring to? There will always be idiots, and always players like Josh Beckett, who are simply egotistical jerks, but with Twitter, fans can take their ire straight to the doorstep of any player brave enough to have an account.
Following Ax’s ninth and subsequent San Diego come-from-behind victory, he re-tweeted a few select passages from those he referred to as #TwitterToughGuys:
- @Som_Ting_Wong wrote: “Leave it to @JohnAxford to fuck everything up…”
- @TedHarbaugh said: “@JohnAxford You are pathetic. Cut your hair and learn to pitch.”
- @BrewCrewSwag_8 typed: “Y wen its a non save situation yur ass @JohnAxford” (Not only is Swag a baseball savant, he / she is also grammatically seamless).
- @MattSleik pitched in, twice: “Way to blow @JohnAxford! #Brewers a 6-2 lead in the 9th soon to be gone!!!” (English, mothahfuckah! Do you speak it?!)
- and “Please tell me the fans booed @JohnAxford for his performace today!? Unreal!” (Again, editorial work at its finest).
- @p4tchsohoulihan had this to say: “@JohnAxford is so overrated & an absolute piece of shit on the mound! trade his ass…” (I assure you, I did not forget to capitalize “trade”).
Do these fans forget or simply neglect to acknowledge that Axford led the NL in saves a year ago with an ERA under 2.00 (1.95) and 27 more strikeouts (86) than innings pitched (59) for a Brewers club that made its fourth appearance in the posteason…ever?
No question, Ax’s ERA is elevated (3.22) so far this season, but respectable, and with 10 saves, the crazy-haired Canadian still ranks in the top tenÂ for the league. Never mind that the Crew, ya know, won the game today, either.
So look, moronic fan, enough with the vitriol and the venom, whether it’s on Twitter or in the park with a few too many beers, just enjoy the game and appreciate those who are not only key players, but out there busting their ass so that your team can be successful.
Because, you’ve nailed it right on the head, Axford went out there hungover and without a care in the world.
If you can’t be constructively critical, grab a ball and see how you fare against the Pads. If not, shut the hell up and stop making life difficult for the thousands of other fans who don’t deserve to be lumped in with dolts like you.
Leave a Reply
- Let’s Play Make-Believe by Peter Robins-Brown
- The Red Sox: 885 Pounds of Baloney in a 500-Pound Bag by Patrick Smith
- Chris Davis and “The Devil” by Patrick Smith
- Butler Frees Up A’s To Trade For Needed Outfield He(alth)lp by Bob Moffitt
- Stanton, Not Nats by Patrick Smith