Nay, but sometimes you have it hear it straight from the horses mouth. Let me set the scene for you: It’s 2010 and I’m covering the Twins Caravan for the Winona Daily News…
Gardy stepped off the bus with two of his then-pitchers, Scott Baker and Nick Blackburn, walked into the conference room and immediately¬†asked “Where can I get a beer?” The Minnesota manager went around the corner to grab a Mich Golden, but during his short absence, Baker and Blackburn started talking about the ride down and kept insisting that Gardenhire loved watching¬†The Hangover¬†as they toured. My fellow writers and I scoffed as Gardy made his return and took a seat to sip on his brew and sign a box of balls. When the hurlers finally realized they couldn’t convince us, both looked over their shoulders and asked “Gardy, we watch Hangover all the time, don’t we?”
We all glanced over at the back of Gardy’s hulking body as he skipped nary a¬†signing beat and blurted “Thanks a lot bin Laden.”
The room blew up.
It may not be Tyson’s tiger, and we didn’t misplace one of our scribes, but as stories go, a fella could do worse.
Leave a Reply
- Relax, Jose Bautista. Nobody’s Throwing at You. Probably. by Patrick Smith
- Small Price by Patrick Smith
- A Tigers-centric Recap of the First Two Weeks by Peter Robins-Brown
- Defense and Pitching and ‚Ä¶ the Rockies? by Steve St. Angelo
- MLB 2015 Preview: Part Deux by Duke Jackson