The playoff picture could become slightly more clear after tonight. I haven’t seen this spelled out anywhere else, but the Angels could assure themselves of having home-field advantage in the ALDS today, if they win and the White Sox lose.
The Angels are 93-59, the White Sox are 84-68. If the Angels finish ahead of the White Sox, the worst they can possibly do is be the #2 seed in the AL, because:
* The Halos would have a better record than any AL Central team
* If the wild card comes out of the East, the Angels would play the wild card team, and the wild card team never gets home-field advantage.
* If the wild card came out of the Central, even if the Angels had a worse record than the AL East winner, the Angels would still have a better record than the Central winner, meaning the Angels would have home-field in the first round.
Game 1 of the ALDS will be either on Wednesday, Oct. 1 or Thursday, Oct. 2. And that ends your math and logic lesson of the day at Bugs & Cranks.
Leave a Reply
- Let’s Play Make-Believe by Peter Robins-Brown
- The Red Sox: 885 Pounds of Baloney in a 500-Pound Bag by Patrick Smith
- Chris Davis and “The Devil” by Patrick Smith
- Butler Frees Up A’s To Trade For Needed Outfield He(alth)lp by Bob Moffitt
- Stanton, Not Nats by Patrick Smith