The day the Chicago Cubs sent pitcher Jason Marquis to the Colorado Rockies for reliever Luis Vizcaino, I wrote this.
IÃ¢â‚¬â„¢m sure both GMs feel like they won because of the contracts they unloaded.Ã‚Â This one could really go lop-sided either way, or it could end up being helpful or inconsequential to both sides.Ã‚Â Chances are weÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ll know by mid-season if there was a winner.Ã‚Â HereÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s to hoping itÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s the Rockies in a landslide.
And landslide it is for Dan O’Dowd.Ã‚Â Even Minnesota’s election officials and Supreme Court wouldn’t need eight months of hearings to reach that conclusion.
For the purpose of complete and thorough analysis only, let’s take a look each player’s 2009 resume.
- NL leading 11 wins
- 2 shutouts
- 2 complete games
- 8 wins after a loss
- 2 wins over the Dodgers (Team 2-10 vs LA)
- .222 average
- 6 RBI
- Did I mention All-Star?
Inside The Rockies has more on Marquis.
- Released by Cubs (April 23rd)
- Signs with Indians (May 14th)
- Released by Indians (June 30th)
- Available to your favorite team on a minor league contract.
I attribute at least six of Marquis’ wins, especially the one in Wrigley Field, to the reaction he received at on Opening Day there when the 40,000 couldn’t boo him enough.Ã‚Â You know, because he only managed to go 23-18 in 61 starts there, helped the team reach the playoffs both seasons, and then dared to be traded.Ã‚Â Ã‚Â Thank you Chicago.Ã‚Â Thank you for lighting a fire under a pitcher, with a little above average stuff, that needed a little motivation.
Do the Cubs necessarily need or miss Jason Marquis?Ã‚Â Not as long as Randy Wells is pitching like an all-star they won’t.Ã‚Â But when you factor in the return for Marquis, and that his trade led to the signing of Milton Bradley, you have an ugly string of events for Cubs GM Jim Hendry.
Hendry has since tried evening the score by trading Alberto Alburquerque to the Rockies for Jeff Baker.Ã‚Â Name value alone, I don’t see how the Rockies can lose that trade one either.
Leave a Reply
- Mo’ne, Joey, Professional Sports and Name-calling by Elisabeth Galina
- Guys, I’m Worried About Brett Gardner by Seth Tearz
- The 104-Game Baseball Season by Keith Good
- The Perfect Spring by Scott Fendley
- Bracketology: Ranking Peter Gammons’ Top Butt-Tweets by Keith Good