Scott Boras and Manny Ramirez keep rejecting contract offers from the Los Angeles Dodgers. Maybe Boras is waiting for the financial clouds to somehow part and for money to come unexpectedly raining down.
Maybe that will happen, though I find it unlikely at this point. Especially since New York Yankees GM Brian Cashman says the Yankee vault is closed for the winter.
“Ultimately, we’ve made our decision,” Cashman said. “We chose to put that money into Mark Teixeira to play first base. I do hear rumblings [that] people actually expect us to get in on Manny. That’s not going to happen.
“We respect his abilities, there’s no doubt about it, but we’re now in the non-roster-invite mode. … We’ve secured the areas of need and hopefully put ourselves in a better position. We’re not playing on any Major League free agents, other than non-roster invites.”
Question is, do we believe the Yankee GM? He said the Yankees would not pursue Mark Teixeira. We know what happened. A few years back he said Bubba Crosby would be the center fielder. Hello, Johnny Damon. Last off-season Cashman and the Yankee organization said they were done with Alex Rodriguez. Ha, ha. Funny joke, Brian.
In this case, I want to believe Cashman. I hope he’s telling the truth and not playing the ‘Yankees lie in waiting’ game. Manny might be baseball’s biggest winner (nice find, Chalk!), but he is also baseball’s biggest idiot.
A-Rod is an insecure, self-absorbed, overly image conscious diva. At least, though, he gives his best effort on the field every night. Not so with Manny, who plays hard only when he feels like it and only when it benefits him somehow. I just don’t want the guy in pinstripes.
Let him stay in Los Angeles, where some would say our old pal Joe Torre deserves the Manny being Manny headache. Or head out to San Francisco, where he might even look like a saint compared to Barry Bonds. Just don’t let him wind up in the Bronx.
Between mainstream media and the blogosphere, there are hundreds of sites out there writing about the Yankees every day. Going forward, I intend to use ‘Yankee Universe’ a few times each week to link to some of that work and bring you even more Yankee news and discussion.
- Derek Jeter has spoken out in support of Rodriguez.
- River Avenue Blues, the granddaddy of the Yankee blogosphere, has a great breakdown of the Yankee payroll both in 2009 and for the next several seasons.
- Chien-Ming Wang threw off a mound Tuesday for the first time since injuring his foot last season.
- The Yankees have “won the winter,” but that is not the ultimate goal.
- Mike Lupica says book or no book Torre deserves a day at Yankee Stadium.
Leave a Reply
- Negatory on That: Duquette stays put by Patrick Smith
- We lost another one by Landon Evanson
- Time Off: See You in 1 Minute, 45 Seconds by Wayne Laufert
- Royals Redemption: A B&C Interview with Willie Mays Aikens by Landon Evanson
- Elderly Owner + MASN Dispute – Impending Free Agents = The Max Scherzer Contract by Duke Jackson