The first New York Yankee-less baseball post-season since 1993 gets underway today. If you’re a Yankee fan it probably really doesn’t matter who wins the World Series. The Yankees aren’t winning it, so who cares?
Truth is, though, I do have some preferences as to who I would like to see win. So, I am previewing the playoffs from a Yankee perspective today by ranking the teams from 1-8. Eight would be the team I could find most palatable as World Series champ. One would be the team I absolutely do not want to to win under any circumstances.
8. Philadelphia — As a Yankee fan, I can’t find any reason to hate on the Phillies right now. Shoot, they beat the Mets for NL East title two years in a row. I have to root for them just for that. Among the eight playoff teams, I think a Phillies World Series victory would be the easiest for me to take.
7. LA Dodgers — I know some Yankee fans will disagree with this choice, but I am a Joe Torre fan. With Torre and Don Mattingly in LA how could I be upset if the Dodgers find a way to earn Torre his fifth World Series championship? I couldn’t.
6. LA Angels — I admire the way the Angels play. Good defense, good pitching, they run the basepaths and do the small things that lead to victories. It’s fun to watch Vladimir Guerrero hit, Torii Hunter is a class act and Mike Scioscia is a wonderful manager. I could not be upset if the Angels won the big prize.
5. Chicago Cubs — Red Sox fans have had their fun, winning two championships out of the past four. How can you not root for the Cubbies to break their 100-year drought?
Now we start to get into the teams I would really rather not see win. It’s just a matter of degree as to how much it would tick me off if any of these next four teams won it all.
4. Milwaukee Brewers — The quicker this team gets KO’d, the better. They are messing with the health of the Yankees future ace, and CC Sabathia has already worked more than enough this season. Get ‘em outta there before something bad happens.
3. Chicago White Sox — I can’t stand Ozzie Guillen. He’s a moron. It’s that simple.
2. Boston Red Sox — It might surprise that the Red Sox are not public enemy No. 1 on this list. Of course, it will tick me off if Boston wins. I would love nothing more than to turn the clock back to a pre-2004 world where the Yankees always won and the Red Sox were perennially tortured. That’s not happening, though. At least I have some respect for Terry Francona, Jason Varitek, David Ortiz, Mike Lowell, Tim Wakefield and other members of the Red Sox.
1. Tampa Bay Rays — I absolutely can’t stomach the thought of a Rays World Series title. To some that sounds like a nice story — perennial floormat turned champion. Not me. The thought of having to put up with the pompous gloating of the Rays and their 12 fans if they do happen to win makes me ill. So, they top this list.
Leave a Reply
- B&C Review — Billy Martin: Baseball’s Flawed Genius by Landon Evanson
- Eff You Winter, Its Time for Baseball: Your 2015 NL Preview by Duke Jackson
- ‘Stachtastic: A B&C interview with Carl Pavano by Landon Evanson
- Mo’ne, Joey, Professional Sports and Name-calling by Elisabeth Galina
- Guys, I’m Worried About Brett Gardner by Seth Tearz