The Evil Empire is back in business — big, big business.
The New York Yankees’ signing of CC Sabathia appears to be just the beginning. The big four pitchers left are A.J. Burnett, Derek Lowe, Ben Sheets and — in their eyes — Andy Pettitte.
Here is ESPN’s Jayson Stark.
The Yankees are in hard on every one of them. They started out this winter determined to sign three major free-agent starting pitchers. And being the insatiable beasts they are, they obviously aren’t bothered by the possibility they could wind up signing Sabathia and Lowe and Burnett.
Oh, and toss in reports that the Yankees are on the verge of sending Melky Cabrera to Milwaukee for Mike Cameron in a swap of center fielders.
Here is more Stark on the Yankees’ gluttony.
“How could they afford all three of those guys?” asked one GM on Wednesday morning, as he tried to digest the CC news and his morning beverage in one indigestion-inducing gulp.
And the correct answer is the usual answer: They’re the Yankees. They have 88 million bucks or so coming off their payroll. They have a spectacular (and, in a related development, lucrative) new ballpark set to open in four months. Their TV network seems to be selling an ad or two. So whatever economic pressures are tugging at the rest of the industry, this is one team that clearly has been granted economic immunity by the proper authorities — not to mention the baseball gods. …
If the rest of the AL didn’t see this coming, it’s just because they weren’t paying attention. This is always going to be how life in the old Junior Circuit works.
These are people who never relax, never settle for anything less than the biggest trophies, never even sleep. After all, how can they? They’re the Yankees.
I know this kind of spending makes other fans and baseball officials jealous. From a Yankee fan’s perspective, though, this is exactly what you want.
A team that is willing to use its resources to do whatever it can in an effort to win. You can’t ask for more than that.
- Yankees showing no shame, or restraint. Bob Klapisch
- Sabathia perfect for Yankees. Sweeny Murti
- Yankee spending doesn’t surprise Red Sox. Boston Globe
- Big deal for big man still isn’t ideal move. Sam Borden
- How Brian Cashman made the deal. MLB.com
- Laying odds on who will be next. Peter Abraham
- The real Yankees are back, and it’s about time. Dan Graziano
Leave a Reply
- Sometimes you eat the bar and sometimes, well, ah… by Landon Evanson
- Not To Get Ahead of Ourselves. But … by Patrick Smith
- Enchanted, I’m Sure … by Steve St. Angelo
- One More Win by Patrick Smith
- Am I the only one who finds it beautiful… by Landon Evanson