April 7, 2012 at 9:26 pm ET
Randomish thoughts on Baltimore baseball
- If you didn’t know better and had to guess, which of these guys looks more likely to ever to be a major leaguer again? The auto-concussed Brian Roberts or the perfectly conditioned Bugs&Cranks reader and commenter Brady Anderson?
- If scientists could harness the hot wind produced by the relentless bloviation of Jim Palmer on Orioles TV broadcasts, we could plug every oil well, seal up every coal mine, and knock down every pipeline. Gary Thorne, the regular O’s play-by-play guy, is doing the Frozen Four tonight. He’s the only announcer who can tame the verbal tornado that is James Alvin Palmer. Jim Hunter, Thorne’s backup, is no match, though not for lack of butt-smooching.
- Fellow Bug Wayne and I attended Friday’s opener at Camden Yards, a 4-2 win over the Twins. Sellout crowd, perfect weather, Jake Arrieta looked like an actual number one starter. The foul ball that whizzed over our heads in the middle innings zoomed straight into the press box and missed The Baltimore Sun’s Kevin Cowherd by about four feet. Oh well. Can’t have everything.
- Nick Markakis homered in the opener, depositing a first-inning pitch into the left-center field seats – his first opposite field tater since 2008.
- Smart teams are starting their own television networks. NESN and the YES Network are worth more than the teams they broadcast. The Orioles wisely started the Mid Atlantic Sports Network in hopes that the station would generate enough revenue to maybe be able to boost the payroll and compete in the AL East. And by all accounts, the network is doing well. But how well can it do when its advertisers are King’s Liquors on Pulaski Highway (“Your lottery cash-in headquarters!”).
- More fun from Saturday evening’s broadcast: this young gent tells the Twins exactly what he thinks of them, following Nick Markakis and Matt Wieters homering back to back.
Leave a Reply
- Minnesota’s new manager is now available by Landon Evanson
- I’ll take heart all day long by Landon Evanson
- Big Lame James And The Ryder Cup Rotation That Yost The Series by Bob Moffitt
- It was just one game by Landon Evanson
- Sources: San Francisco Bans More Than Just Lorde by Seth Tearz
Most Popular Topics
We have cheap Yankees tickets, Mets tickets, plus Mets baseball tickets, Red Sox tickets, Cubs baseball tickets and a packed MLB baseball schedule.
Buy Mets tickets online from CTC, where you'll find discount baseball tickets including cheap Braves tickets, Houston Astros tickets and sold out Saint Louis Cardinals tickets.
Visit Soldoutentertainments.com for great value sports tickets including Manchester United tickets, Liverpool tickets, Champions League final tickets and also FA Cup Final tickets.
Vividseats.com is your premier internet destination for all MLB Baseball Tickets, such as Phillies Tickets, Cubs Tickets, LA Dodgers Tickets, Pirates Tickets, Marlins Tickets, and many more.
SecureYourSeat.com are able to provide you with a great selection of Premier League tickets including Arsenal tickets, Manchester United tickets, Liverpool tickets and Chelsea tickets. We also stock a fine selection of Champions League tickets including Champions League final tickets.
Best online sports betting bonuses and promotions at Sportsbetting.com. Join now the most secure online sportsbook!
For a selection of online slots games and casino reviews visit Online Slots Entertainment, a leader in online slot machines since 2003.
Buy Arizona State Sun Devils Tickets and view the Sun Devils Football Schedule online. Sun Devils Tickets are available now.
AllianceTickets.com carries all MLB Tickets including Colorado Rockies Tickets, Seattle Mariners Tickets and San Francisco Giants Tickets. They carry all Sports Tickets at discount prices.