This may get overshadowed by Longoria getting called up and debuting Saturday, or by Carl Crawford’s 1,000 hit, or by EGDC Carlos Pena’s 2 home runs and 6 RBI, but Al Reyes deserves mad props.
Around 2:30 am, Reyes was reportedly spitting blood at patrons at a Tampa nightspot. And then was tasered. Twice.
Less than 20 hours later, Reyes was on the mound in the 8th inning of a tie game. He retired the two batters he faced.
Our Devil Rays plated 5 more runs in the bottom half to earn Reyes his first victory of the season.
That’s pretty fucking impressive.
According to Joe Smith of The Times:
Reyes met with the assembled media for about 30 seconds prior to batting practice, apologizing to his team, the organization and fans for his involvement in a late-night incident in South Tampa last night. Manager Joe Maddon said it was an unfortunate, isolated incident, adding that he doesn’t believe Reyes will be disciplined by the organization
Leave a Reply
- B&C Review — Billy Martin: Baseball’s Flawed Genius by Landon Evanson
- Eff You Winter, Its Time for Baseball: Your 2015 NL Preview by Duke Jackson
- ‘Stachtastic: A B&C interview with Carl Pavano by Landon Evanson
- Mo’ne, Joey, Professional Sports and Name-calling by Elisabeth Galina
- Guys, I’m Worried About Brett Gardner by Seth Tearz