Many sites using many scientific methods are projecting vast, historic improvements for our Tampa Bay Devil Rays in 2008. Baseball Prospectus uses PECOTA to project a 22-win improvement and an 88-74 record.
Another scientific projection uses the ratio of a team’s wins to the team’s total payroll. In 2007, our Devil Rays led the Majors in wins-to-payroll ratio, spending $365,518 for each victory. By comparison, the Yankees were dead last, spending $2,076,904 per win.
This offseason, our Devil Rays have significantly increased their payroll — Rays Index estimates it at $43,281,250 — an 81% increase from last year’s $24,124,200.
If our Devil Rays can simply sustain their 2007 $365,518 per win pace, they will win 118 games in 2008.
They will break the 2001 Seattle Mariners record for regular season victories.
But wait, there’s more. If our Devil Rays do find the courage to sign Barry Bonds, and give him the same $17,000,000 salary the Giants paid him in 2007, our Devil Rays would be projected to win 164 games in 2008. Not only would they be baseball’s first perfect team, but also the first team to ever win more games than it actually played.
Who ever said math and science were boring?
Leave a Reply
- a’s dEfEnsE: tErriblE by Bob Moffitt
- James Taylor AND the Red Sox? by Patrick Smith
- “All the Good Titles Were Taken,” by Jorge Posada by Patrick Smith
- Inside the Barry Bonds Collusion Grievance by Peter Robins-Brown
- Aâ€™s Bullpen Translates To â€śGas Canâ€ť In Any Languageâ€¦Gas Cans Offended by Bob Moffitt